Saturday 20 February 2016

I begged to watch EPL - Iheanacho

Super Eagles youngster Kelechi Iheanacho has disclosed how he begged and sneaked into viewing centres in Nigeria just to watch the English Premier League as a child.
The Manchester City striker endured a very difficult childhood in his home country, but now serves as a hero figure for kids who are eager to catch a glimpse of him.
Speaking in a chat with Daily Mail, Iheanacho revealed he couldn’t afford to pay N50 as a child to watch the English Premier League. According to him, he most times have to sneak in or beg just to have a glimpse of the action as his parent also couldn’t afford a television at that time.
“We didn’t have the money.
“Maybe after the game I’d hear the scores and all that. I’d be at home playing football and my friends would come back after being there to tell me. We didn’t have a television at home.
“Sometimes I watched the Spanish league – it was a bit cheaper, maybe N30. But the Premier League was N50. Sometimes I’d watch the Premier League if I found the money, or I’d go there and beg them to let me in. Or sneak in for the second half and pay half the money.”
He revealed the hardship his family went through when he lost his mother.
Kelechi Iheanacho reveals how he begged and sneaked into viewing centres in Nigeria just to watch the EPL.
“It was hard for us when my mother left us. We couldn’t do anything so I said to myself “move on and keep working hard.
“She makes me work harder. When I’m not doing something right, or when I’m not playing or working hard enough, then I remember her. She pushed me to work hard.
“There are jobs (back home) but football has always been with me. When I was growing up they didn’t want me to do it because my mother was a teacher- they wanted me to go to school. But I love football and wanted to play – they wanted to stop me but couldn’t.
“They wouldn’t allow me to play outside after school but I went out anyway. Maybe I lost a bit of focus om my studies.
“It’s amazing when you go back home now, when you remember how you were before. You go back home and all those people are calling your name, shouting. I get mobbed by the kids. They want to see you want to know you.”
Now a first team player with City, Iheanacho described playing alongside Yaya Toure a dream come thorugh.
He said: “I support Barcelona because I watched the Spanish league. I saw Yaya (Toure) playing for Barcelona… And now I’m playing with him. It’s a dream come true.
“I have to be my own man but he is a big influence in Africa. He has done a lot in Africa and I hope to do that as well.
“I wasn’t expecting that. I was working with the EDS (Elite Development Squad). He (Manuel Pellegrini) said I was going with them to Australia in pre-season and after we came back I was in the first team. I was a bit surprised.
“You feel a bit nervous, these are great players. It’s important to listen.
“I’m happy playing with them now and they give me confidence to play, they encourage me a lot. That doesn’t mean I’ll disrespect them or feel I’m one of them now. I wouldn’t just do anything I like – I’ve got to keep my head down, keep working hard.”
Iheanacho has nine goals so far this term, and is in line to start at Stamford Bridge as Pellegrini prepares to name an understrength squad ahead of Man City’s trip to Kiev in midweek.

No comments:

Post a Comment